Finally home... after a 36 hour trip, twas NOT fun. It has taken me the better part of 3 days to adjust. The first morning I woke up at 6am not being able to sleep and went out into the living room of my brothers house, which is where I'm staying, and watched tv. It felt like I was surrounded by jungle with green out of every window and the sound of birds chirping. I have started the mammoth task of sorting through my things for a yard sale we are having on Sat. I was informed by my mom, whom has been storing all my stuff, that we would be selling it all! Well, most of it anyways, the things that have no meaning to me at least. I didn't realize how much I had accumulated over the years... I have 1/2 of today left to go through the rest of it and am not looking forward to it! After being away for so long you realize how little you can get by with.
I was standing in line at the airport in Cairo and was looking at my stuff. Basically all the things I have had or needed in the past 6 months and it came down to one pair of flip flops a small back pack and my larger backpack with about 4 outfits in it and realized that I hadn't really needed much else. So going through all the things I had saved makes me realize even more how insignificant these things are to me now. Why did I have 3 sets of mixing bowls? Or over 10 half empty bottles of lotion and hair products? Or 5 pairs of sneakers when I've lived off of one pair of $5 flip flops for the past 6 months. I have lived around and seen people who dont even have a home, who alternate between the only 2 t-shirts they own, work 12 hour days and sleep on boards behind the huts that we pay $7 a night to sleep in...
So after tomorrow, when hopefully everything is sold, I'm sure I will feel a huge weight lifted and after my time at home which I love, I will go back to where life is simple and you make due with whatever you can get and there are no calenders and to do lists and no 5 year plans. After coming home I realize just how fortunate I am to be able to live a life without all these things to cloud your mind and just wish that everyone I love could experience how it feels to be truly free.
And as everyone is probably wondering what does this all mean? Am I ever coming home again... I'm sorry to say I do not know the answer. I have no schedules, no time tables and definitely no 5 year plan... at least for now. I have fallen head over heels in love with diving and can't imagine my life without it at this point. As long as I'm happy I won't be changing a thing.
An Update
15 years ago

4 comments:
SARA!!- I would love to learn how to scuba- seriously- I will keep you updated and it would be so fun if we were able to meet up someone. I'm glad you are having a blast!
Amen.
word, girl. this entry made me smile. see you tomorrow. xo, erin
well said, sarah...
Post a Comment