I have a job!!! Yippee... It's about time (at least I know that's what you all are thinking!)
So much has happened since my last post but the short version is that Cameron got a job as a manager of a dive shop and has been begging me to come and work for him:) No really, I will be working there, it's called Sea Pioneer and is right on the main strip about 10 yrds from the Lighthouse Dive Site. The owners of the dives shop also own a technical diving school right next store. I have guided a few dives and Cameron just finished an Advanced Course and left me in the shop to do some organizing. I guess you could say I am helping him out with the managing aspect as well.
Our house is finally feeling like a home. We have gotten big rugs and big pillows as a couch and have been eating at home a lot. Seems people here eat a lot of feta cheese, if you ask for a cheese sandwich it will be made with feta and both of us have become slightly addicted. The produce here is really good and have been eating a lot of vegetables and fruits. My daily lunch consists of tomato and cheese sandwiches and black olives (with the pits which I never really ate at home but they are amazing). The other day I bought a bunch of apples and as I was peeling the sticker off to eat it I noticed that it was made in the USA in Washington State. Kind of amazing that the apples I'm eating here came all the way from home (they are delicious by the way).
We had bought 2 crappy bikes to get to town on and Cameron managed to rip both pairs of handle bars off so the bikes have been out of commission for a bit but one of the boys that helps out at the dive shop took them to a welder and got both of them fixed for about $.75ea!
There are lots of dogs here but all have been really friendly so far. At about 7pm every night our neighborhood turns into a barking competition. We are surrounded by 4 mosques and at about that time they start their prayers over the loud speakers and directly following this the dogs start up and continue for about 30 min. We found out that the goats and sheep do belong to the Bedouins and are let out every morning to clean the streets and then find their way back home just before dark. I also found out that they eat them sometimes as well, but the ones they are going to eat get fed regular food(whatever that is) and stay locked up.
The weather has been off and on recently and is either chilly with crazy winds blowing(which is brutal when you get out of the water and have to strip off your wetsuit) or no wind and really hot although I know we haven't seen the worst of the heat yet. We might try to get an air conditioner if we want to be able to sleep in the summer.
Oh, our landlord got us a washing machine which is really exciting. It is this round contraption that is about a foot wide and 2 feet tall and you can wheel it around and fill it with water and then plug it in and there is a wheel thing on the inside that spins the clothes around. Pretty impressive.
Not much else is going on here... just happy to be making money and diving.
Happy late Easter. We just realized we missed it yesterday! Hope everyone is well and happy.
An Update
15 years ago

2 comments:
Awesome maggot. Glad to hear things are going well. I'll be seeing dad in the next couple nights for dinner over at his place. We need to get in touch sometime soon freak.
Christopher
You say you have a job but how many hours do you actually work in a day????? And is diving for free really a job???
Keep having fun!
Julie
Post a Comment