This is the beginning of our 5th day (I think) in Dahab and there are a few things I've learned since coming here... One is to always always check weather before assuming that just because you are traveling to the desert does not mean it will be hot. I know that it gets up to 40 C- about 104 F... but didn't bother to check what the weather was like at the moment. In an effort to keep my luggage under 30 kilos I gave away almost all the warm weather gear I had-which consisted of a pair of jeans. I replaced them in KL with very thin linen pants which I'm sure will keep me cool in the heat but does nothing for me at night here with the temp being around 15C-59F (it is cold when you have been in 90 degree heat for the past 2 mths) with the wind blowing like crazy. The wind is even brutal during the day if you are out of the sun and have been wearing my jacket everyday.
Cameron and I have been diving the past few days. Yesterday we paid a taxi driver to take us to a few dive sites and made a day of it. I bought a 3mm vest and hood to wear under my 3mm wetsuit to help with the chill of the 21C-69F water, I have been diving in 29C which is a huge difference. I was talking to a guy the other night and said that I bought a vest and he said he wears a 3mm vest and hood and a 7mm wetsuit-so you can get an idea of how cold you can get after being underwater for 45 minutes. The water for me actually isn't the most painful part-getting out of the water and out of your wetsuit in the wind causes enough pain for me to want to stay in it all day. We dove the Blue Hole yesterday, it's the most dangerous dive site in the world... it is kind of like a circle cut out of the reef that goes down 100's of meters and has a tunnel/arch through to the open water at 60 meters (200ft). I think over 100 people have died trying to go through the arch on one tank of air. It's meant to be done by technical divers with all the appropriate precautions taken. Many people have done it safely and dont worry it is not something I will be trying ever.
We might be moving in the morning, we found an apartment that is brand new and the owner is finishing putting in the appliances and things and hopefully we will be moving in soon. It's about a 25 minute walk out of the main strip so we will both be getting bikes as well, which by the way will be good for me since the food here is incredible and have been eating lots:). We have a view of the Red Sea from our reception (that's what they call the living room) and have a small sunset deck on the other side and can see the sunset behind the mountains. It's amazing. Also have a few Camels as neighbors and loads of goats wandering around.
Another thing that excites me about having our own place other than having more than just a bed in our room is having fresh water to shower and brush our teeth with. The well water here is salty. Not as salty as the sea but you can taste the salt when you brush your teeth. The first time Cam showered he came back with a wax film on him and in his hair like he rubbed a warm candle all over his body... We thought it was just cheap soap but realized that it was the water. My legs and body is so dry from it but rarely put lotion on because there is so much sand that it would stick to me which I consider worse than having dry legs.
I am really enjoying being here... I think it's going to be a great place to live.
An Update
15 years ago

1 comment:
Awesome SJ! The weather in DC is turning to spring and it makes me wish I was you and Camerons third wheel. What an amazing time. Some of your pics aren't coming up though. One of the lighthouse and some others. Enjoy every minute! hugs and kisses!
Post a Comment