Yippee! We have internet! I am very excited although might be one of the only ones as the locals here couldn't give a monkeys (as Cameron would say:) that the internet hasn't been hooked up. I am really starting to feel at home on this island... took the ferry over this morning to the Tekek, where the only bank is and am using the 'high speed' internet here so hopefully will try to post pics when I'm done... We have been hanging out trying to get familiar with the town and the people. We have quickly made friends with the locals although I have yet to find a promising candidate for 'Sarah's new best friend' (preferably a girl) but I'm sure that will change as a few dive shops aren't even open so I'm keeping my fingers crossed as the people filter in...
We have strong prospects for jobs and more than a couple dive shops are looking for a DM so I am feeling optimistic about that although you will very rarely get a guarantee of a job so probably in a few weeks we will start hanging out at the shop harassing tourists to dive:)
We were staying in a chalet on the beach and could hear the waves crashing against the rocks all night as they were about 10 feet away. It was great but opted to find a cheaper place and have moved 200 ft from the beach in a little chalet that has a nice grassy area with picnic tables, lounge chairs and is lined with palm trees. It is small but cozy and am reduced once more to bitterly cold showers and have gotten pretty good at washing my own clothes in a bucket in the bathroom! I came home the other afternoon to find a money on the railing of the place across from us trying to look in the window and when he heard me he didn't seemed bothered at all as 2 more of his friends arrived and they proceeded to play together. At dusk every night a tree by our resort fills with bats, loads of them, all sizes and have the small ones flying low and just barely missing your face as they fly by. We really are living in the jungle.
We also took a trek to Monkey Bay which is a beach just over the mountain from us. It was harder than I thought it would be and took about 50 minutes. We went snorkeling and relaxed and read on the beach... as we were reading, our bag was about 10 feet away and a monkey came from the woods and stole our fruitella candies (they are like starburst), he was also almost rummaging through our stuff picking up my t-shirt and shorts searching underneath them until Cam yelled at him and he went just barely into the woods and sat in a tree chewing on that candy forever, it was hilarious. We had our first dive here as well, we borrowed some tanks from a dive shop and went off the jetty. It was really great, we saw about 15 cuttlefish mating which was really cool. It gives me good hope for the diving here and hopefully will be doing more in the next week or so.
Cameron has been in KL for the past 4 days buying technical diving equipment and I have been trying to keep myself busy including frying myself on the beach and being left with a sore red belly and about 50 sand fly bites... I woke up at 3am this morning itching myself to death.
Cam comes back today and it won't be too long until the season picks up and I will be working!!!
I am also looking forward to seeing my 2 favorite people from Roatan very soon!! hint hint Pfeltz
Hope everyone has a fabulous Valentines Day!!!
An Update
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment