Thursday, January 04, 2007

AMSTERDAM

First of all, Happy New Year... Sorry for the late post but I am just beginning to feel normal again. Amsterdam is INSANE!!!
My mom and grandma dropped me off at the airport on the 29th and was feeling great... new adventures and very excited... So I had a short flight to JFK and as soon as everyone boards the small plane the captain comes on and says that the plane apparently 'broke' during boarding... who says that? the plane broke.
I was sitting next to an older woman with rosary beads in her hand, dont think she was too comfortable after that. So we all have to get off and get on another plane. Once we are on the new one, he comes over again and says the airflow system or something like that on this one is 'broke'... Great... he says as soon as we get in the air it will be fine. We start to get in line to taxi and he informs us that JFK is not letting any more planes take off that are heading there because they are really busy so we have to sit on the runway in this tiny plane with no airflow system for almost 2 hours. I land in NY at 6pm... which is exactly the same time my flight to Dublin was taking off... good times. To make a long story short, I get another flight through Franfort, Germany and when I arrive in Amsterdam it comes as NO surprise that my luggage is sitting in NY. I dont end up getting my luggage until I go back to the airport to fly to bangkok...
I am stupid and had all my info in my checked luggage so all I knew was to take the train to central station, take a right over a bridge, the name of the hostel and that the street started with an S. I wandered around for about an hour and decided that I should ask someone... went into a dive shop and they looked it up in the phone book and drew me a little map, really nice guys.
Found my hostel, looked at the bed I was to sleep in but had nothing to drop off as I had nothing except a travel pillow, a few books and snacks my mom had packed me...
Hooked up with Kat and Anna and headed out. We had the best time. Lots of food, bars, coffee shops... went to the red light district... The hookers are basically behind a glass door that is literally on the street, you can see a bed in the background and she just pulls the curtain if someone wants to go in... it was crazy. Went to the Van Gogh museum and the Heineken Factory. Spent New Years in Dam Square... they had a dj and the place was packed. Fireworks going off EVERYWHERE. They were real fireworks too. Those people are insane... they were just standing on the side of the street lighting them off one after another. And when I say street its really just 20 ft walkways in between buildings. People were running down the street trying to get away from them, the streets were COVERED in the firework wrappers. It was the best New Years I have ever had... I never could have guessed last New Years that I would be in Amsterdam this year. So, as a summary... I loved Ams. had a blast, crazy place... even without any clothes. AMAZING.
So I head back to the airport and head off to Bangkok.
Spent one night there and then back to the airport to head down to Malaysia... I had to pay twice what my ticket cost for being 28 kilos over the limit. Need to sort through my bag and get rid of things I guess. Met Cameron in Kuala Lumpur and we are heading to Singapore this afternoon. Will try to be better with the updates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey,
So happy you and your baggage have reunited...relax from all the travel and regroup...stay safe and as always send pictures...everyone here misses you and loves you...
XO Mom

Jessi Pfeltz said...

uh...Alex and I are freaking out about your luggage being 28kg over...how many is that in pounds and what was the limit? Email me as I am thinking we are screwed hehe - darn gear bags...And we will definitely be on AirAsia soon.

xoxo
Jessi

Andrea said...

Glad you had a great new years and good to hear from you. I was beginning to worry! Hopefully you are now relaxing and once again living the time of your life. Can't wait to hear more stories and see more pics. I only have 3 weeks left b/4 the baby is due!!!!