Saturday, August 09, 2008

Have the day off today... Yipee, so thought I would take some time to update on all that has been going on here, if I can even remember. It's high season for diving and have been super busy, diving everyday and actually getting quite a few certifications. I have just finished an Open Water and Advanced Course for an Olympic Gold Medalist!!! He is from Hungary and won the gold metal in the 2000 and 2004 Olympics for water polo. He is here playing on our Polo Club's Team for the summer. We have gone to a few games and going tonight for the championship game. I had never seen it before and it's really fun to watch. There guys are like swimming machines and the first game we went to we were speechless watching them swim back and forth whilst wrestling with the other team members. The majority of my students are kids from the language school and have had a wide range of ages and nationalities including a 14 yr old Slovienian boy with a red mohawk and a 17 yr old Chezh kid who got in trouble for fighting at school... It's been fun and I think I've been lucky in that the majority seem very comfortable in the water. I have had the chance to explore other dive areas as well including the HMS Maori which is a shipwreck right outside of Valetta. It was one of the destroyers that helped to sink Hitler's ship the Bismark... so Im managing to get a bit of a history lesson as well. Oh, I have graduated my first Divemaster and I have another one! His name is Tobi and he's from Germany and we have been finishing his rescue course this week and will start his Dm soon. I think we will have a lot of fun together and he has become my driving assistant. I use him since I cant really see out of the back of the truck and he helps me park without crashing other cars. Im actually quite proud of myself since before coming to Malta I hadnt really parallel parked since my drivers test 14 years ago and now I can do it in one go with the truck! Im also starting to drive a bit like the Maltese... which isn't good. Basically there are no rules around here...
Tobi brought a Rubix cube with him and has proved to be a good source of entertainment. He can solve it in 1 min 30 sec. Cam has caught the buzz and bought himself one and after a week of studying the moves from the internet he can do it in like 8 min I think. I am going to borrow Cam's camera and video Tobi solving the cube at 30 meters at the Tug boat wreck the Rozi... maybe we will be in the Guinness book of world records!!!
The weather here has been deathly hot with no wind for the past week but thankfully the wind is going to pick up tonight, although it makes diving more complicated with divesites... Other than work, I have been reading alot and have just read the Kite Runner and 1000 Splendid Suns. Both books are amazing but spent half the time crying... so now Im onto Marian Keyes which is a british writer of nonsense girly novels till I can work up the nerve to read another serious book. We have been cooking quite a bit and is so nice to have proper stores to go to and I basically have my own car right now as well, even if though it does stick out like a sore thumb.

In debate over what is next for us... will let you know as soon as we figure it out:)
Can't believe it's August already!!! Enjoy the rest of the summer! xo

No comments: