Friday, May 30, 2008

Malta

So we have been in Malta for a week and a half and Cam and I both have jobs and an apartment and a roommate and ... A few days after I arrived in Scotland, Cameron and I went to London by train and stayed for 2 nights and then flew from London to Malta.
It was such a nice weekend to be in London and we met up with Anna, from Roatan, and walked around alot, spent alot of time on the tube and managed to see quite a few of the tourist attractions.
Cameron pretty much had a job lined up and I was emailing a dive school before I arrived. So thankfully we both have work and since Cam lived here a few years ago he stills has quite a few friends still living here so they have been taking care of us. It's really nice to go somewhere where you know people, makes life a lot easier. So this island is beautiful, big cliff like rocky coastline with mountains and farms inland. It looks a bit like I would picture Italy with the tall buildings and balconies with loads of flowers on them. As well as the fields with villas and those tall skinny pine tree looking things... Am I painting a nice picture here?:)
We road up into the mountains with Cam's friend who has a horse and saw so many fig trees and fields of grapes, olives and tons of tomatoes.
I have been on a few dives with Cam and am going to have to get used to the cold water! It's really not that cold but Im wearing a thicker wetsuit and feel like a little kid in a snow suit and am much more restricted, but that wont take much time, I'd have to say the old days of diving in boardshorts is long gone! There are loads of wrecks here, some purposely sunk for diving and then a lot from WWII. Submarines, planes and all sorts of boats. I dove on one last week called the Um El Faroud that was a 350ft boat parked in the harbour in Valletta, Malta and had an explosion where 9 people died and so they towed it out and sunk it for diving. A few people are saying they hear strange voices and things and so I was a little freaked out but I didnt hear anything, thank God...
Oh, Not only am I teaching people to dive but I also have to drive them! Almost all the dives are shore dives here and on Gozo, island next door, and I have to drive my customers. Oh Lord, Im so glad I got practice in Scotland cause, lucky me, they drive on the wrong side of the road!
The food here seems really good and really bad if you know what I mean. There are these places called Patizzeria (sp?) and they make these delicious pastries filled with all kinds of stuff. Sausage rolls, cheese pastries, mashed pea pastries, yes I said peas, like the vegetable..? So we went the other day and Dorte (Cam's friend) asked what one was and she said ham and cheese and Dorte asked if there was sausage in it and the lady says (in her Maltese accent, which sounds sort of like an Italian American from New York) OF COURSE! Like seriously? I think they have special Maltese sausage here and it's crazy that they say it's ham and cheese and it's just a given that there is sausage in it! She had obviously gotten a ham and cheese and sausage pastry before. We have a little shop right outside of our apartment door that sells fresh bread and pastries and a fruit and veg stand as well. We are both working in a town called Sliema but living in Bugibba, which is a ways away but Sliema is much too expensive to live and it's fun down here.
Well, better get off and go out to practice my parallel parking!!!!
xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seem so settled in such a short time...good for you two!
Can't wait to hear hilarious stories of your driving & diving adventures!
Loved the photo of you two in Scotland!!!
Hugs and Kisses,
Mom