Friday, May 04, 2007

The heat has arrived

Well, sadly Cameron's brother has left and I think he's taken the nice cool breezy weather with him. Last night out house was so hot that speaking was kept to a minimum and moving was almost completely out of the question. We had all the windows and 2 fans going but was only blowing extremely hot air around. Cam and I just sat and stared at each other and thinking that we aren't going to survive this summer without air-conditioning. I think it was about 35C which is about 95F... and will be about 10-15 degrees warmer soon enough. During the day hasn't been too bad as long as you can stay out of the sun you are fine and the heat is very dry unlike home which is an advantage. Supposedly things sow down here quite a bit during the summer as no one wants to visit because of the heat and are already thinking of sneaking away to somewhere cool, probably Scotland, for a few weeks in July.
We have been pretty busy at work lately, Cameron has 4 courses in a row that he just started and I am holding down the fort and doing some guided dives during his breaks, it's so nice to have the dives sites literally at your doorstep.The water is warming up and is 23C now and I've already given up on my vest and hood. I definitely miss the warm 29C waters of good old Roatan but think it will get up to 26C here and guess that will have to been good enough.
We have also managed to acquire a dog. Our neighbor had to go back to England to sort out some business and we said we could dog sit. Later we found out he will be gone for 2-3months! So we have a Dahab dog named Bonnie. She is a really sweet and well behaved dog, most of the time, and it will be nice to have here around. She kind of looks like a collie I think, those dogs that chase the sheep, anyways that's what most of the dogs around here look like. She loves to jump fences and sit up high to look down on everything. Most of the houses in Assalah are separated by 8ft high cider block fences. Jimmy's yard has shorter fences so Bonnie can jump over and rough around with the neighborhood dogs. We decided Bonnie could just stay with is and stay in our yard which has no foreseeable way for her to get out but I think we may have underestimated her... Her first night with us was obviously very confusing for her and at about 3am I heard her barking and looked outside to find her in Jimmy's yard barking at his door. She's a very sneaky girl.
We've really started to sort our house out and I am extremely happy right now because we have fresh water in our tank. Water has proven to be a problem lately and you wouldn't believe how exciting is was when Cameron called yesterday and said the water was on and we could fill our tank... It seems silly but I feel so lucky to go home and have fresh water coming out our faucets!
I can't believe how fast the time is going it's been almost 5 months since I left home this last time and only have about 7 weeks until I'm home again. Christopher sent me some pics of the garden and it made me miss Solomons in the spring. I can't wait to have a little time there soon. Hope everyone is doing great at home. See you guys soon.

No comments: