Monday, December 28, 2009

Check SpellingWe've been living in Egypt now for almost 2 months. Two days after arriving I started work and have been working non-stop since then, which is great. Dahab remains unspoiled and pretty much the same since we were here 2 years ago. It so crazy being back at the same job, Poseidon Divers, and we have actually moved into the same flat we lived in the last time we were here (Cam is working at the same center he worked at before also)! There are alot of the same people which makes it feel as if we never left! The diving is better than I remember and am loving every dive. I have gotten to teach alot of different courses including about 10 or so specialty courses so I will definately not get bored here!
Shortly after arriving we took a trip to Nuweiba which is a Bedouin Village about an hour north of here with my co-workers. The dive center organized the whole thing and we left at 7pm and came back at 7 am the next morning! We stayed at a Bedouin camp and when we arrived it was already dark but we were right on sea and the sky was incredible! I can't remember seeing so many stars before! We had food and a few drinks around a fire and then went to sleep for a short time and before I knew it we were back in the mini bus heading to the center for a full days work!!!
Cameron has taken up windsurfing and is loving it. Wind and Kite surfing here is pretty popular as we apparently have over 300 days with F4-5 Winds...

I had a camel safari at work which means I take people diving but to a place where no cars can go so we have to take camels. We took to to Ras Abu Galum an area about an hours walk from the furthest north road in Dahab. The camels carry all our equipment with us sitting on them as well! My camel was the leader and as soon as he stood up he started walking way ahead of everyone else, he knew where he was going! It was actually kind of relaxing but I was sooooo sore the next day and think I will walk next time I have to do one.
We recently helped celebrate the holiday called Eid al-Adha, Festival of Sacrifice. It comes from when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son for God but then was allowed by God to sacrifice a ram instead. Its about spending time with friends and family and thanksgiving for having food. Each family sacrifices an animal and gives 1/3 to his family, 1/3 to his friends and neighbors and 1/3 to the poor. Cameron's boss slaughtered a sheep(or maybe it was a goat) and we had a nice BBQ on the beach. During this time there were cows and other animals tied up around town. I even saw someone walking a cow along the boardwalk and I was just hopeing that I could get past before they killed it. We had nice food and I tried the meat and it was ok.
So Christmas came and went and we had some elaborate plans for lots of eating and drinking and Xmas dinner with about 20 people at a friends house. At about noon on Christmas Day I started getting a bad stomach and continued to be sick for 4 days... I also woke up on the 26th with bronchitits, so its been fun. I not only missed Xmas but have missed four days of work as well. I will be going back tomorrow, lets just hope I can equalize my ears!

Hope everyone has a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! x

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Update the site buttchin!