Monday, July 13, 2009

More Birthdays

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTOPHER!!! I can't believe how old we are! I hope you have a great day.

Let's see... what is there to say about Malta in July. It's hot, real hot. The high last week was 100F and there is still a good chance to get sunburned until 7pm. The UV Index is 10 and if it is 10 and higher it is recommended you stay inside... all day. Obviously that is impossible but needless to say I am trying as much as I can to stay out of the sun. The recession has definitely hit here... the hotels and beaches aren't as full and I actually haven't been diving in the past few days. It's nothing too much to worry about but everyone is feeling a bit slow at the moment.

We have started going to quiz night at the pub on our street and last Friday night, we invited a bunch of people. It's an English Pub so most of the questions are British. English football (soccer), Royalty and geography. The first time we went I only knew the answer to one question, which was what feature is missing on the Mona Lisa... All the others were British. Anyways, so we invited a bunch of English people to increase our odds of winning the grand prize (a bottle of wine and a lottery ticket for a 400,000 jackpot) but somehow all the English people sat together and we were left with a team of one Englishman, one Scotsman, one Maltese, one Danish and me! Our team name was The Internationals. Needless to say we didn't win, we got 14 out of 25. But there was one American question!!! What do American's call the boot of their car? Anyone??? It's the trunk. We'll have to try again this week...

Speaking of British people, I still get surprised alot by how different we can be. I had an English student and we went to the cafe in between dives and he asked to buy me a drink and when I asked for Gatorade he looked at me and said what's that? That's crazy to me. Also, Cam and I were at the movies the other day and there was a poster for the G.I. Joe movie that is coming out and my boyfriend has never heard of G.I. Joe... is Britain on another planet or what?!

Surprise Surprise I had a toothache 2 weeks ago and went to the dentist, his name is Justin. He filled a cavity and said it would be 40. I didn't have enough cash and he didn't take credit cards so I said I would go to the bank and bring the money back and he said not to worry about it I could just bring it back to him when I came back (I made an appt for 2 weeks later)! All he knows about me is my name and mobile number, Oh yeah and when you go to the doctor here you don't fill out any paperwork or sign any forms. Justin was just about to put the needle in my mouth and then was like, oh yeah, do you have any medical problems?... Its so relaxed, that's how all the doctors I've seen are like.

I seriously can't believe that it's the middle of summer already... Time goes by too fast, slow it down people... and my friends just keep having babies, all the time! I can't wait to come home in October for C's wedding and am excited for Cam to see MD in the Fall. Hopefully the weather will be good. Happy Late 4th of July, I was devastated to find out that there was a picnic with crabs going on without me... I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! xxx

1 comment:

Cat said...

Great posting! Good luck with quiz night at the pub. Sounds so fun. I thought the boot was the tire.

Can't wait till October to see you and meet Cam.