Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm an Open Water Scuba Instructor!!!

Ahhhhhh. Finally it's over... I just got back to Playa on Monday and am so glad to be able to sleep!

So, I spent the past 2 weeks in Manzanillo, 10 days for the IDC Prep Course and 2 days for the Instructor Exams and I passed! I had 9 other people in the course with me and from the first day we were spending about 14 hours with diving, lectures, presentations & exams. Then going home to a few hours of homework to prepare for the next day. The actual work wasn´t hard just the lack of time with when to do it in. I stayed with a few people in the course with me and my roommate was Sarah and we had a really nice apartment along with all the other students. We all got to know each other quite well and I made some good friends. Now I can teach Open water, Advanced, Rescue and Divemaster Courses as well as Emergency First Response, Nitrox, Boat, Search and Recovery, Fish ID and Drift Specialties.
Manzanillo was beautiful, it almost looked like what I would think Italy would be like on the water. It had big mountains at the waters edge with tons of white houses stacked along them. The water was freezing, about 18C- 64F, which is almost 25 degrees cooler than the Caribbean! The visibility was also really bad, maybe only 2-4 meters. It was a full moon and red tide was starting to come in so it was not very nice although they have loads of sting rays. One day on the way back from the divesite the boat captain pointed out in the water something that looked like a boil, where a school of fish are jumping on the surface and it looked like birds but when we looked closer, it was a school of eagle rays jumping out of the water! Amazing. The others at the diveshop have seen whales and dolphins from the surface quite a bit and can hear the whales underwater, maybe if the viz wasn´t so bad you could see them.
It would of been nice to spend some more time to do more dives.
So...
All that is missing now is a proper job! Cam and I are spending a lot of time at the internet searching for jobs for 2...
Keep your fingers crossed for us.
miss everyone xoxo

3 comments:

Betsy said...

WOW!! Congrats. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! I can't believe all of the incredible things you have accomplished in the past 2 years!! You are an inspiration to anyone who has a goal set before them! You've come a long way from OSMC and I am so very proud of you. It is exciting to have a world traveler as a friend to live vicariously through ; ) Keep updating your blog!!! Love, Julie

Andrea said...

Congrats Sarah! That's awesome!!! Hopefully the job will come along soon!